Autumn or fall in the Upper Rhine Valley is the season of the grape harvest but not only. During the months of September and October, there are some beautiful wine […]
Autumn or fall in the Upper Rhine Valley is the season of the grape harvest but not only. During the months of September and October, there are some beautiful wine festivals and many gastronomic opportunities. When Halloween and All Saints’ Day (November 1st) get nearer will come the period of flamboyant foliage that will last almost until the start of the Christmas markets (November 23). And in my little village of La Vancelle as well as in the vineyard in Riquewihr, autumn is a brilliant season of warm and golden colours, perhaps the most aesthetic in the year.
I have prepared a long page with plenty of suggestions and ideas. You may find it directly here. Just to give you an idea, here is a list of topics. Some events are already behind us at the time I am writing this but it can help for planning a trip next year. You will find more info by following the link.
Ideas for a stay throughout the fall
– Let’s harvest the beautiful grapes!
– Lift the glass at the winemakers
– Discover and taste the “vin nouveau”, the new wine
– Walk around Riquewihr in the golden vineyards
– Autumn at the Haut-Koenigsbourg castle
– At Europa-Park, some nice days around Halloween
– New! Rulantica, Europa-park’s newest water park opens in November 2019
– The Royal show of the Eagles’ Park
– Meet the monkeys at the Monkey Mountain
– With storks and otters at the Naturoparc in Hunawihr
– In the Butterfly Garden of Hunawihr
– Traditions and autumn colours at the Ecomusée (living museum of) d’Alsace
– A beautiful excursion to the Black Forest
– Explore the Route des Crêtes (Crest Road) in Autumn
– On the Munster Cheese Route
– Discover the secret Val d’Argent (Valley of the Silver)
– Mulhouse – the Cité de l’Automobile and its fabulous collection of vintage cars.
– Mulhouse – the beautiful locomotives of the Cité du Train
– At Hartmannswillerkopf (HWK), a major battlefield of WW1 in Alsace
– At the Linge Memorial, the other major battlefield of WW1 in Alsace
I have prepared a long page with plenty of suggestions and ideas. You may find it directly here. This article is just a list of topics, the summary of my dedicated page. You will find more info and pictures by following the link.
Punctual events not to be missed, on one or more days
– September 1, the fabulous Pfifferdaj, festival of the Menestrels in Ribeauvillé.
– September 1, Wine Festival, Weinfest of Breisach-am-Rhein (Germany).
– At Saint Stephan’s Brotherhood, an extended autumn program for Alsace wine lovers.
– September 1-23, Colmar Jazz Festival
– September 8, Transhumance and meat pie festival in Munster
– September 12-15, European Patchwork Meeting in Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines
– September 13-15, BiObernai, nature and bio fair in Obernai.
– September 14-15, The Old Lamp Stock Exchange at Tellure Park.
– September 21-22, The European Heritage Days.
– September 27-30, Ortenau wine festival in Offenburg (Germany).
– October 6, Festival of mountain agriculture in Steige.
– October 5-6, Plant Festival at Schoppenwihr Park (between Colmar and Riquewihr).
– October 6, The grape harvest as in the 1900’s in Dambach-la-Ville.
– October 12, Transhumance Festival in Muhlbach-sur-Munster, the biggest event for transhumance in the Vosges mountains.
– October 23 – November 1, A frightening Halloween at the Haut-Koenigsbourg castle.
This article is just a list of topics, the summary of my dedicated page. You will find more info and pictures by following the link. I have prepared a long page with plenty of suggestions and ideas. You may find it directly here.
Alsace and the Upper Rhine valley all along the year
You must log in to post a comment.