The Brotherhood Saint Etienne (Saint-Stephan) is a mythical institution in the world of Alsace wine and one of the oldest in France. A few days ago, in its castle of Kientzheim, just next to Riquewihr and Colmar, the brotherhood announced its program for the next 12 months. All wine lovers are eager to learn more about it. Spring is also the time of the year when the Grand Master leaves his post and passes the torch to his successor.
Jean-Louis Vézien new 2019 Master
Jean-Louis Vézien, the new Grand Master 2019 is not unknown in the world of Alsace wine. Champenois of origin, an agronomist first working at the INAO (National Institute of the Appellations of Origin) of Colmar, he ended up taking root in the Alsatian vineyard as director of the CIVA (Interprofessional Council of Wines of Alsace ) for 20 years, until 2017.
From the beginning of the history of the Saint-Etienne’s brotherhood, in the Middle Ages, the brothers gathered in “chapters”, especially the day after Christmas (Saint Etienne), to celebrate around the wines of Alsace.
Today, every year, the Brotherhood organizes in its castle of Kientzheim but also abroad, several solemn chapters, prestigious evenings with a commented tasting, wine tastings and the ritual admission session for the new members. The evening continues with a gala dinner where a renowned chef offers a menu of haute cuisine showcasing the best wines of Alsace.
The chapters are open to everyone.
2019 solemn chapters at the Brotherhood of Saint Etienne d’Alsace.
Dates of chapters at the Brotherhood’s castle in Kientzheim
- 25 January 2019 – GENERAL CHAPTER
- 12 April 2019 – Exceptional chapter together with the Brotherhood of Taste-Cheese
- 15 June 2019 – solemn chapter “Alsace wines and humanism” by Hubert MAETZ
- 21 september 2019 – solemn chapter “Alsace wines and the arts” by Frédéric TAGLIANI
- 26 october 2019 – solemn chapter “Alsace wines around the world” by Patrick FULGRAFF
- 23 november 2019 – solemn chapter “Alsace wines, Economy and Politics” by Olivier NASTI
Dates of chapters abroad
21 January 2019 – Berlin in Germany
2 February 2019 – Karlskrona in Sweden
2 March 2019 – Amsterdam in the Netherlands
11 July 2019 – Los Angeles (California) in USA
13 July 2019 – Fort Worth (Texas) in the USA
26 November 2019 – London, Great Britain
6 December 2019 – Brussels in Belgium
2019 wine tasting workshops
Discover the old vintages of Alsace wines.
Seminars on various themes with wines from the prestigious wine cellar (65000 bottles!) of the brotherhood.
Participation: 42 EUR per person.
The wine tasting workshops of the Saint Etienne brotherhood are a must. They are held in the evening (from 20:00 to 22:00) and are open to all wine lovers (no need to be a member). The participants are usually 20/25 people.
- 16 May 2019 – Muscat throughout the ages
- 20 June 2019 – The Pinot Noir from 1995 to 2000
- 5 September 2019 – Granite
- 17 October 2019 – Diamonds are forever!
- 12 December 2019 – The Riesling keeps its cool!
“Combine them as a chef”: Alsatian food and wine
Discover local products presented by renowned chefs or their producers and associate them with Alsace wines. At 19:00. Seminars on various themes with wines from the prestigious wine cellar of the brotherhood.
Participation of 50 EUR per person.
Events not to be missed. They are held in the evening (from 19:00 to 22:00) and are open to all wine lovers (no need to be a member). The participants are usually 20/25 people.
- 25 April 2019 – THE AIR with Henri GAGNEUX from Restaurant La Palette
- 23 May 2019 – THE WATER with the fish shop Le Chalutier
- 3 October 2019 – THE FIRE with the Maison Hirose (bakery, pastry, certified Organic).
- 7 November 2019 – THE EARTH with the Butcher Shop “Art Boucherie” (which offers products made only from game meat)
Conferences at the castle of the Brotherhood
- Tuesday 23 april 2019, 19:00
It seems that the Alsatian winemaker tends to always see its flaws and not be proud enough of what he produces … The aim of this conference is to situate the wines of Alsace among the great French appellations.
Speakers: Fabrice RENNER wine shop in Saint Louis – Jérôme GAGNEZ wine consultant in Paris and wine columnist for France Inter.
- 23 NOVEMBER 2019 – this AUCTION of old vintages from the Brotherhood’s enoteca takes place every 2 years. A great moment not to be missed, followed by a solemn chapter.